At first, I wasn't going to write a race report for the marathon. Or I was going to wait a week and let all the events sink in. Things are still too fresh, too new, too disturbing. The tragedy far outweighed the minutiae of the day. And while that is still true, I have found that the most inspiring stories I have read or heard are from fellow runners who have recapped the day's events. In talking with team members about the tragedy, we eventually will ask one another, "But, before all of that... how was your run?" And THAT is what gives me hope. The tradition of the marathon, specifically the Boston Marathon, will live on, precisely because that's who we are. We are runners. We don't give up.
![]() |
| One of my favorite facebook photos from the day. Credit PJC, whoever that is. |
And so, I'm going to write up a full race report of the day, remembering the details as I felt them at the time. We trained for almost five months, and I ran the Boston Marathon for 4.5 good, happy, celebratory hours before the tragedy happened. I won't let them take that away from me. One of the many voicemails on my cell phone that I listened to today was from my aunt. She said, "You keep doing what you're doing, because what you are doing is good, and we need there to be more good than evil in this world." Well folks, what I do is run slow and write long, so get comfy because this is going to be a true marathon tale.
Race Report
Boston Marathon
April 15, 2013
Temp at start: 54 degrees and sunny
Part One: Pre-race
I was up at 4:45am, after having slept remarkably well. The only anxious dream I had was that I posted the wrong bib number in my facebook status update informing friends & family how to track me online or via text. I figured if that was the worst fear I had for the day, then I was in pretty good shape. I drove myself to the Westin in Copley Square, our team meeting headquarters. We gathered in the ballroom, writing our names on our shirts and asking each other if we were ready. Before we set off, there was one last Mission Moment. A woman on our team from out of state shared that she joined the team because her dad had liver disease. Sadly, he just passed away a few weeks earlier on April 2nd, and his funeral was the previous Sunday. She proudly had her dad's name in big block letters on her shirt, proclaiming, "Today, I am CHUCK." It was a sad but necessary reminder that this is the reason we are here. We were told that when we felt like crap out on the course, to remember all the people that donated to our campaign, all the patients who we have met or heard about, and all the people still affected by liver disease that depend on the success of this team and our fundraising. That would be the inspiration we'd need to get us to the finish line.
![]() |
| Run for Research B-team |
![]() |
| Boston Fusion, represent! |
| From the Land of Mu to the Land of Gu |



I am SO proud of you Beth! I look forward to reading part two soon. You are my hero....full of stamina and courage, you face adversity head on. Stay strong and be proud!! Love you.
ReplyDeleteLove it already. Don't forget the part about the rent-a-bike dude.
ReplyDelete