I'm telling ya, nothing lifts a girl's spirits like signing up for a couple of races. Today I signed up for two races for 2014, which puts me at 5 registered races for 2014. Not bad considering it's only October. I realized in the past couple of weeks (months?) that I've been in a slump because I'm not doing races for fun. Timberman was huge, and even though I did have fun, fun was not my goal. Surviving was my goal. That takes a lot out of you, and so I didn't plan much for the rest of 2013. I think I over-corrected though, because this lack-of-doing is making me insane. Don't get me wrong, I'm about a month in to marathon training, so it's not like I'm sitting around doing nothing, but training on one's own is not the same as racing. And by "racing" I mean paying a lot of money to run at a mediocre pace and taking home an extra bottle of water to feel like you're getting your money's worth. That's what I miss.
My goal for 2014 is to have fun in every race that I do. If my currently level of fitness is any indication, I won't be breaking any records in 2014, but I'd rather be a participant with lousy times than a bitter couch potato. Below is my race schedule for 2014.
Already Registered:
January 1st - Hangover Classic 10K
January 11th - Disney World Half Marathon
January 12th - Disney World Full Marathon (both races together is known as Goofy's Race and a Half Challenge)
April 21st - Boston Marathon
May 25th - Boston's Run to Remember (Half marathon)
On the Definitely Maybe list:
February - Hyannis Half Marathon or Half at the Hamptons
March - Black Cat 20-miler
June - Escape the Cape Sprint Tri and Patriot Half (swim relay only)
July - Mass State Olympic Tri - This is the race I DNF'd last year. Redemption race coming up!
August - 2nd biennial WIKLANSKI 5K!!!!!!! and maybe Timberman 70.3
September - Title 9 Sprint Tri
If you're reading this and plan to do any of those races, let me know. Also, tell me what your favorite race is, and I'll think about adding it to my list. I'm always looking for new favorites.
Happy Training!
POW race in South Boston. I'll be do'n it :)
ReplyDelete