Well hey there stranger. It's been a while since I've checked in. Long story short, I've decided to focus on swimming for 2015. I cancelled my registration for a June triathlon, and I'm suspecting the same fate is in store for the two tris I am scheduled to do in August. But it's all good because I'm so excited to be focusing on the swimming instead!
I have four swim races planned for this summer already -- the first one is a fairly easy distance so it'll be a good introduction to my open water swim season; the second one is a stretch for me physically, but totally doable; the third one is totally outside of my comfort zone and it scares the shit out of me; and finally, the fourth one is nothing scary at all and will just be a fun day with good people. The big race that I was hoping to do this year has actually been cancelled, so I'm bummed about that. I would have liked to do a "marathon" swim, but that might have to wait until 2016. It's probably just as well. I have a tendency to do too much of everything I like and then I get burnt out.
Speaking of burn out, one of the things that I think contributed to my burn out was doing too much group activity and telling everyone what my race plans were. I frequently forget that the reason I train for and compete in races is because I want to celebrate what my body can do. Yes, even this under-trained, overfed, imperfect body. I need to get back to doing what makes me happy, which for me means training alone or with people that share my same philosophy. I have to ask myself, "If no one could know that I did this, would I still do it?" I find that that question helps to pinpoint which goals I have that might only be for bragging rights, and which goals I have that are truly for me. That's not to say I won't brag if I do something I'm proud of, just so we're clear.
On that note, tomorrow I am running a half marathon. When I ask myself the question of if I'd still do it if no one could know, my knee jerk reaction is that I don't even want anyone to know that I'm running this. It's possible I'll finish after the course closes. It's possible I'll DNF or get diverted to the 5 mile course. Despite all of that, I am actually looking forward to this experience. I owe it to my body to let it see what it can do. I won't be ashamed of my limits.
No comments:
Post a Comment