I originally planned my Saturday of Memorial Day weekend by what made logistical sense. I had to get a long run in, per my training schedule. I wanted to participate in the #onerun -- a run on the last mile of the marathon course for those who never got the chance to finish. I also signed up to volunteer at the Run to Remember Expo for the 5-mile and half marathon races which are being held tomorrow. As it turns out, all of these activities ended up blending together like a symphony, and it was quite the masterpiece.
I started my day by driving to the site of the Expo, where I'd be volunteering in the afternoon. I'm too cheap to pay for parking more than once in any given day, so I figured I'd park here for the entire day, and then run to meet Connie in Brookline. For the sake of nostalgia, and for the sake of not getting lost, I decided to run to the gym where our Run For Research charity team began all of our long runs during the training season, and then follow the same course all the way up to Brookline. Even though it was Saturday of a long weekend, it was cold (mid 40's) and rainy, so there weren't many people out. It is so much greener in May than it is in January!
 |
| Running through the common in springtime |
Off to my left, I saw the sea of flags that are put out for Memorial Day, representing Massachusetts service members who lost their lives in the line of duty.
 |
| Memorial Day flags on Boston Common |
I continued on the same route I've run dozens of times, but it felt like I had never run it before. Perhaps it was because I was by myself today, and not with 30-40 of my teammates, or perhaps it was because it was May and there was so much more color to everything that it looked unrecognizable. When I came into Kenmore Square around 9:30, there were already lots of people gathered for the 10am start of the #onerun. There was heavy police presence as they had already shut the roads down, and runners were converging on Kenmore Square from all directions. It was definitely a cool feeling to be one of those runners. I continued on past Kenmore, up Beacon Street about a quarter of a mile where I met up with Connie and her son Kellan, and we started our trek back into Kenmore. We came to the same intersection where we had been stopped on the course of Marathon Monday, and again it was manned by Boston Police. Unlike that day when we were told to "clear the area", today they were on guard to stop traffic and to allow the runners safe passage. We were taking back the course, and Boston Police was laying out the red carpet for us.
 |
Marathon course, Beacon St. at Park Drive |
There were about 3,000 runners gathered for the start of the #onerun. The #onerun was organized by local running clubs, and it was a free event to anyone who wanted to run, though it was especially geared toward the 5700 runners who did not get to finish. Most of those runners were charity runners, and they were there today sporting their team singlets, and wearing their Boston Marathon bib numbers. There was also a large population sporting various "Boston Strong" t-shirts, including this one which they were selling at the beginning of today's run.
 |
| #onerun t-shirt |
The run was not a race. It wasn't timed, there were no bib numbers, no official check-in, and it was better that way. That made it truly feel like the continuation of the marathon, and not a separate event. The national anthem was sung by the choir from 8-year old bombing victim Martin Richard's church, and there were a number of speeches made before the start of the run. They thanked the Boston Police officers and other first responders; they remembered the victims who were killed or wounded; they told the runners that we would run as one today, showing our solidarity as runners and proving that we are Boston Strong. With that charge, we started off down Commonwealth Ave, excitedly yelling "one mile to go!" as we ran over the words that are still painted on the street from 40 days ago.
 |
| Right on Hereford |
 |
| Finish Line! |
 |
| One flag in honor of each victim. Photo credit: The Boston Globe. |
It felt good to do this run, although I wasn't as emotional as I was when I crossed the line a few weeks ago with my Run for Research team. That was the closure that I needed, but today was the experience I needed. The walk a few weeks ago was a walk, not a run, and it was done on sidewalks. Like I said, it definitely gave me the closure I needed because I got to cross the finish line, and I did it with my teammates. But today, with the roads closed to traffic, and many different charity teams and "everyday" runners in the mix, it felt more like the marathon would have felt. Boylston Street was lined with cheering spectators, which really made the experience seem authentic. After the run we visited the marathon memorial, which I hadn't been to yet.
 |
| Wall of shoes at Marathon Memorial |
 |
| Marathon Memorial |
 |
| Marathon Memorial |
What's cooler than taking back the finish line with 3,000 other runners? Touching the tallest building in Boston, of course. That was Kellan's idea, so after we paid our respects at the memorial, Connie, Kellan and I walked over to the John Hancock building and all laid a greasy palm print on the glass. I bet they get that a lot. Connie was running the Run to Remember half marathon tomorrow, and I was volunteering at the expo, so she drove us over to the Seaport district. We enjoyed a nice lunch and then headed in to the expo.
Boston's Run to Remember, now in its ninth year, is a tribute run for fallen police officers. After the events at this year's Boston Marathon, the race sold out in record time. Over 10,000 runners are participating tomorrow in either the 5-mile or the half marathon race. The expo also paid tribute to the victims, especially Sean Collier, the officer who was shot and killed by the marathon bombers on the night they were finally caught.
 |
| MIT squad car and photo of Sean Collier at Run to Remember Expo |
 |
| Remembering the victims, Run to Remember Expo |
I spent the next 5 hours handing out t-shirts to registered runners, glad to be doing service for the running community which I've gotten so much out of. A few of the other volunteers were talking about how they had to report for duty again tomorrow at 4:30am. The race itself starts at 7am, and if you tell the runners to get there at least an hour before the race starts, then that means the volunteers need to show up at least 2 hours before the race starts, and to make sure they aren't late, better move the time back by a half hour for good measure. Since I'm
a glutton for punishment always so excited to do anything fun, I decided I'd show up tomorrow morning at 4:30 too. I don't know what I'll be doing yet, likely manning a water stop somewhere on the course. After a day like today, there is nothing I would rather be doing than being a part of this running community in the best city in the world, and honoring all of our fallen heroes that make this all possible.
Very awesome post, Beth. Gave me goosebumps. I'm really glad they put the #OneRun together. Good stuff.
ReplyDelete